Social media marketing, an essential piece of your strategy, is defined as the use of social media platforms to connect with your audience. Social platforms can achieve a variety of objectives such as connecting with your customers, increasing awareness about your brand, and boosting your leads and sales. It’s important that you choose the right platform to launch your next video campaign instead of blindly deploying your resources.
There are thousands of social networks to choose from. Some major social media platforms (at the moment) include Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tiktok, Pinterest, YouTube, and Snapchat.There are way too many social networking sites out there to ever have a presence on each, and your time would be better spent narrowing down on the sites that will give you the exposure you're looking for with the right audience, and figuring out which one will help you meet your marketing objectives.
In this article, we’ve narrowed down to several social media platforms, what the platform’s typical users look like and video specs to help you decide where you could possibly launch your next video campaign.
YouTube logs over 2 million users monthly. The streaming service is particularly popular with younger internet users. According to Alexa’s top sites, YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world and generates the second most traffic of all websites in the world - second only to Google. (who also owns YouTube). It’s fair to assume that this means YouTube has a pretty diverse user base and your business can likely connect to your target audiences.
Here are some common YouTube ads placement:
- In-display ads - these types of YouTube ads show up on the sidebar while you’re watching a YouTube video, on the very top of your suggested videos.
- In-stream ads - these shows as the user is consuming other content. In other words, these ads run before, during, or after other YouTube videos.
- In-search ads - are those that appear on the top of search results, when a user types in a specific keyword in the YouTube’s search bar.
Aside from YouTube, Facebook is the most popular social network worldwide, with roughly 2.89 billion monthly active users. Facebook is good for lead generation, and its advertising platform can be highly customized to target very specific audiences. This gives marketers more creative freedom to show off a brand’s personality and connect emotionally with an audience.
Facebook video ads are paid ad placements that feature a video and can appear in one of several predetermined locations on a visitor’s Facebook screen. Here is a list of possible ad placements:
- In-feed ads - These look similar to organic posts and appear as someone scrolls through their News Feed.
- In-Stream video - These ads are like mini commercials that show in the middle of another video.
- Facebook Marketplace - These video ads appear while a user is scrolling and shopping on Facebook Marketplace.
- Facebook Stories - These ads are full-screen, vertical ads that appear between organic Facebook Stories.
- Facebook Video Feed - These ads display in between organic videos on Facebook Video Feed.
Instagram has a younger audience. Instagram users quickly scroll through their feeds, so whether it's a regular Instagram video ad or an Instagram story ad, brands need to make video ads that compel users to stop.
- Instagram Stories - These can bring your business to life in an immersive format, with options to add stickers, emojis and other creative elements. These full-screen vertical ads appear to viewers between organic Instagram Stories.
- Instagram feed - These display photos and videos from accounts that people follow and from advertisers.
For Instagram, multiple aspect ratios are supported: Landscape aspect ratio is 16:9, square aspect ratio is 1:1and vertical aspect ratio is 4:5.
TikTok has blossomed into the seventh largest social media network in the world, which makes it a very fertile advertising ground. Advertising on TikTok will help you reach a young, energetic audience that loves to share great content. Also, TikTok only supports one type of video format, ,9:16 which is recommended to fill a standard mobile phone screen (1:1 with letterboxing)
Video ads on LinkedIn provide a compelling way to reach an older, more career focused audience with its core demographics being users aged 30 to 49. LinkedIn is typically the choice platform for B2B businesses, and especially if your goal is lead generation.
Not sure how to navigate an ever-changing media landscape? Here at Big 3 Media, we're a Singapore video production company that offers a suite of services to market your business during these challenging times:
- Live Streaming services
- Video production
- Website design and development
- Media Buy
- Graphic Design & Mascot design
- Content Marketing Strategy